Thursday, September 18, 2008

Travel Friday

Today I chose a U.S. sight... Since my last photo seemed blurry, I wanted to test out a picture of a building... because I knew it was crisp by nature. (Not sure if the trees in my last post just made things seem blurry)

Here it is:





This photo is of a super cool theater in Celebration, FL. (a stop on an anniversary trip my hubby and I took last January). I wanted to stop in Celebration because it is a New Urbanist town. As an architecture major I was fascinated with new urbanism. I went from loving it (what better than idealized small towns), to hating it (a horrible example of gentrification) to somewhere in the middle... One of the things I do love about New Urbanism is the fact that "towns" are created, not just housing developments.

This day in January was the actual day of our anniversary... the weather was mild, and sunny... the perfect afternoon for exploring a fun town!

For more info about new urbanism check out the book:
The New Urbanism: Toward an Architecture of Community by Peter Katz

Interested in another New Urbanism fact... Unless I am mistaken the movie "Truman Show" was taped in a New Urbanism town... Seaside, FL.

No comments: